Saturday 12 May 2007

Boosting Productivity in 15 Seconds (Part 1)

I have often previously fallen into a bit of a lull when it comes to my productivity and gettings tasks done. Sometimes I hit a brick wall, and then get distracted while trying to get around it. Other times I might not have felt motivated enough to be doing those tasks - I just wanted to laze around, watching TV or whatever else.

Because of this lull in productivity, I have not only lost potential development work and subsequent income, but I've also seen my personal projects start to fall behind making it harder and harder to get back up to speed on them.

In my discussions with fellow developers (and self-employed friends in other industries), I have learnt that I am not the only one who experiences this from time to time. It seems to be a commonplace event, getting distracted or unmotivated and letting tasks and projects fall behind.

I made a decision to turn this trend of mine around. By doing this, I would increase my productivity and get through projects faster (meaning more free time), or be able to work on more projects in a fixed amount of time (meaning more income). So I stepped back and looked at what was holding me back and where I would like to be. From this, I developed a few strategies and ideas to help me increase my productivity - and they've worked, for me and those fellow developers I mentioned earlier.

In my next post, I'll be sharing some of those ideas. Could your productivity benefit from a boost?

No comments: